Monday, December 21, 2009

Is is really worth the money to go to a salon to dye one's hair?

Or can you get the exact same results by just doing it yourself with store brought hair dye? IE clairol, l'oreal, etc.


Also which store brought hair dye brand is the best? I want to dye my hair like a rich dark brown.Is is really worth the money to go to a salon to dye one's hair?
I have done both there are pros and cons to either side, first, yes I dyed my hair PLENTY of time by myself, and it turned out great!!! But here's the problem one you're looking for a specific color result, and well the boxes give you a PRETTY good idea of what it MIGHT look like, (and sometimes they will even have a side picture that shows your shade and what the specific color is supposed to do to your hair... it's not always accurate). Some people's hair (like mine) tend to ';grab reds, which means even if I don't use a dye that looks red, if it has even a HINT of it my hair takes it, exaggerates it, and when it's started to fade out the red is all that's left (and without BLEACHING it, I cannot get rid of the red that lingers). I liked using a salon to do it because those girls do that EVERY day, they have a pretty god idea, with what shade of hair you have, and what results you want, what shade they need to use. Also if you are interested in depth (highlights/lowlights) they are more skilled at doing stuff like that, but if you're interested in just one ';flat'; color, there's nothing wrong with doing it yourself, as long as you're not the type of person to FREAK if it's not right (I mean not even close to right). Again I will say I did it myself for YEARS, but once I found a color I liked on me I STUCK with it like glue! I use (regardless of the color... because I have ';played'; with different colors on me) L'Oreal, preferrence I think... I use it because I like the way it makes my hair feel after I've colored it (not all dried out and damaged) it's been more than 3 year since I last dyed my hair (my husband said you know honey I don't know what your natural hair color is, and since I had been dying it since I was 13 I said, you know I don't remember myself!!! the only way to find out was to grow it out... my husband thought he married a redhead... guess what I'm BLOND). Anyway, if your nervous about doing it yourself ask a friend who has done it before to go with you, and maybe even supervise (if not DO the coloring for you), if you are truly nervous about it go to a salon, and have them do it for you (like I said this is a better choice if you are considering doing highlights, or something like that, I've TRIED doing those on myself and well it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, the good thing was my hair doesn't dye well, which means I have to go for MAX time to get it to set in, and I didn't do my highlights at the max time so you could barely see them). Again there are pros and cons to both (the cons about going to a salon is the price, but I've always LOVED someone else washing my hair anyway, so I'll pay the price), just remember this, if you TRULY hate your hair after you've dyed it you can't take the box back to the store and expect your money back, but you as sure as hell can say you won't pay the salon if they botch it up!!!Is is really worth the money to go to a salon to dye one's hair?
Hello. First of all what is your natural color? You want to stay within 2-3 levels of your natural if you want to color at home. In a salon you are paying for skill. The stylist is trained so that there is less of a chance for error. You'll also get insight into the proper hair shaping and styling tips. At home its you and a box. If your hair is long forget it. Sectioning long hair yourself is a pain in the booty! Also, remember, longer hair requires more product! Its very messy, make sure you have TONS of towels, and a few wet wash clothes just in case the product drips. As far as nice rich color Garnier makes a good product. Good luck!
if you want nice color that lasts for more than a month without fading that's not brassy and won't fry your hair, go to the salon. Trust me it's cheaper in the long run!!!
If your dying your hair with all over color I definitely think you can do it just as well at home. Though if you want highlights or anything special I would invest the money in a hair stylist. They have the invaluable neccessity of experience. I do my mom's hair and we always buy L'oreal. I can't remember which one it is though. i know it isn't the least exspensive one. sorry, i can't remember. it does work well though
It is worth it, b/c if you aren't careful you could really have a mess on your hands,, and your hair could come out looking terrible.
l'oreal is the best hair dye brand
yes it is cuz if u dnt u mite f'up ur own hair
A good hair salon IF THEY'RE GOOD





They have access to more expensive and better products and they know how to use them.
Being a stylist I would say go to one. The products professionals use are far better and can sometimes make your hair come out in better condition than before you colored it. You need to get a consultation and go over the shade you want. She should look at your skin tone and eye color for that perfect shade. If she doesn't then go somewhere else and ask before if they charge for the consult. Some do and some don't. I don't.
i have tried both ways When i go to the salon i get the color i want... when done myself i get the color i dont want and never turns out like the one on the box worth paying the extra money i think unless your doing it the same color
Sometimes you can get salon results at home, but just in case you don't, it's always better to put your hair in the hands of a professional versus doing it yourself since you're dealing with chemicals. Professionals will know what to do if you don't achieve the hair color you're looking for or if you have a bad reaction to the hair product. The same can happen at home, but you would have to call some expertise 1-800 number on the back of the bus to get the information you need...and who knows how long that could take! Your best bet is to trust a professional.
Usr L'oreal the conditioner is excellent, and home dying results are great and any residue washes off, including from towels good luck and save money
Since you asked not any of the supermarket branded hair dyes will give you the best results. Though some of the other products you mentioned produce excellent results.





Though if in doubt.and you can afford it .. go to a good hairdresser for advice.
It is really and always worthy for the salon's owner dear.
If you go to an expensive salon then obviously it is expensive but then the colour lasts longer, if you go to a cheaper salon then it tends to last about a month
to me it is worth it
if you do it at home you run the risk of dying your hair orange - it can be done but do a test dye and call the number on the package for help
i thought that too. i tried to dye my hair a lighter shade of blonde as it was going abit dull with age and it came out ginger. it was never the same!





i now go regularly to the salon to have foils on and its so much more worth doing it that way.
if you have money to dye for
yes especially if you want it to look 'natural'. some home kits will give you a blanket colour and can actually look like a wig. plus a salon will gradually add the colour over time, so it will let you and your hair get used to it.
First timers may get lucky. Best to consul pro.
Definetly worth it. I also find it like a pamper day when I spend 3 hours in the hairdressers having my hair done. Plus colour lasts longer and you know it wont go wrong in any way!
Well, it depends on your hair type (some people's hair grabs color more than others), what color your hair is and what color you are going for. I have had hair-dye nightmares in the past because my hair has a lot of red undertones and I selected the wrong colors and came out with quite unfortunate results. If the hair color is close to your natural hair color (at least within 1-2 shades) you should be okay. But if you are going for a drastic change, definitely go to the hairdresser! I ended up having to go AFTER I tried the cheaper way of doing it! Good luck!!!!
Not really, you can do the job yourself at fraction of the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment